To learn more about the position, department, and the Garland community, click on the link below to review the recruitment brochure. The salary will be market competitive depending on qualifications and experience.
The position is open until filled with priority review of candidates by Jan. 19, 2024.
Responsible for providing functional leadership of the City of Garland’s Information Technology GIS division and coordinates with internal City departments to meet their GIS technology needs.
- Strategic Leadership: Develops and executes a strategic vision for GIS operations aligned with the City's objectives and technological advancements.
- Technical Expertise: Provides expert guidance on GIS technology, systems, and methodologies to support decision-making processes and GIS planning throughout the City.
- Policy Development: Develops and implements policies, standards, and procedures related to GIS data management, ensuring data accuracy, security, and accessibility.
- Project Management: Reviews GIS project requests from customers, determine resource allocation, and establish project and business analysis assignments based on skill set and project priority. Works with the IT Project Management staff to oversee GIS projects from initiation to completion, ensuring adherence to timelines, budgets, and quality standards.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Collaborates with city leadership, department heads, and external stakeholders to understand their GIS needs and deliver solutions accordingly.
- Training and Education: Develops training programs and workshops to enhance GIS knowledge and skills among departmental users.
Analyzes critical business functions, user requirements, and system performance, to recommend solutions for business needs, business continuity, and disaster recovery.
- Conducts trends analysis and identification of areas for improvement through training or modification to established methodologies and policies.
Develop and recommend procedures by which efficiencies can be gained to reduce costs and increase work capacity.
- Reviews contracts, negotiate purchase price, legal terms and payment schedules and obtain input from managing director and legal counsel for vendor contracts.
- Prepares documentation for procurement of hardware, software, or services to develop and recommend procedures for citywide IT asset inventory maintenance.
- Compiles and manage documentation of systems, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Analyzes GIS customer support issues and coordinate internal resources and/or vendors to provide resolutions.
- Prepares and submit operational budget and cost estimates for proposed projects to senior management.
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Director of IT.
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, or a related field.
7 years experience working with GIS as an analyst, database administrator or similar.
5 years experience managing a GIS Department
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Master’s degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, or a related field.
7 – 10+ years experience in Information Technology including GIS project management
10+ years supervisory experience (as a lead or supervisor)
7+ years managerial experience (as a manager or director)
Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Leadership Abilities: Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills with a proven track record of leading and managing teams effectively.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in GIS software (e.g., ArcGIS, Cartegraph, CityWorks etc.), spatial analysis, database management, and familiarity with relevant programming languages.
Comprehensive knowledge of IT infrastructure, database design and maintenance related to GIS operation.
Valid Class C Texas Driver's License
Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification preferred
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
To apply, click here.