Performs a variety of laboratory and fieldwork to support mosquito and vector research, surveillance and control programs.
- Maintains accurate records of surveillance and other data.
- Uses a variety of traps and methods to collect adult mosquitoes.
- Assists with surveys that may include collection & laboratory analysis.
- Educates residents about vector control.
- Safely operates a City vehicle to perform work related activities.
- Designs a relevant study and reports findings using scientific method.
- Applies mosquito control products.
- Performs related duties as directed when such duties are a logical and appropriate assignment to the position.
- Regular and timely attendance are required for this position.
- Interacts professionally and respectfully with the public, coworkers and others in the course of daily work.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Skill in use of personal computer including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, e-mail and the internet.
- Must possess and exhibit the skills necessary to operate assigned tools and equipment in a safe and proper manner.
- Must be comfortable working outside comfort zone with a willingness to learn.
- Must be a team player who is able to work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines.
- Ability to provide excellent customer services including a desire to help customers regardless of their circumstance.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Must have the ability to learn additional applications as they are applied to working assignments.
- Must have the physical ability to perform the functions of the job, including but not limited to balance to navigate and to walk up and down slippery, sometimes, uneven steep creek channel areas and terrain.
Must be pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s of Science and majoring in biological sciences or a related field. Current transcripts are required with application.
A working knowledge of mosquitoes and laboratory equipment is preferred.
Candidate must possess the ability to read and interpret various types of maps (GIS familiarity preferred).
Must pass a credit check and Federal/National criminal background check. Must have a valid Texas driver's license with an acceptable driving record as defined by City policy.
Must pass a pre-employment basic physical, drug screen, functional assessment screening (Level 1), Titmus vision screening and Ishihara vision screening.
While performing the essential functions of this position, there will be routine and frequent exposure to:
- Bright/dim light
- Dusts and pollen
- Extreme heat and/or cold
- Wet or humid conditions
- Extreme noise levels
- Fumes and/or noxious odors
- Moving machinery
- Electrical shock
- Toxic/caustic chemicals
- Other extreme hazards not listed above
Safety equipment such as gloves, goggles, hard hats, safety vests, steel-toe boots, back support belts, and seat belts are provided and must be worn as required by department procedures and good safety practices.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job entails moderate physical labor, which requires strength and agility. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift, shovel, and carry 30 pounds and exert up to 75 pounds of force. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.Disclaimer
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the job requirements change.